Are you interested in growing your own food in community with others? Then the Burlington Area Community Garden program might be for you! There are 14 sites throughout Burlington, and you can learn more about them as well as the program here: https://enjoyburlington.com/about-our-community-gardens/
Registration is CLOSED!
If you would like to be put on a wait list, please e-mail Meghan at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Returning gardener registration will begin in early October
- New gardener registration will begin in early February
- More information to come!
Garden Plot Fees:
Full Plot: $75.00
- Size: Approximately 750 sq. ft.
- Available at: Medical Center Garden, Starr Farm Garden, Tommy Thompson Garden, Wheelock Garden, and Winooski Valley Garden
Half Plot: $45.00
- Size: 250-350 sq. ft.
- Available at: Calahan Garden, Champlain Garden, Lakeview Garden, Medical Center Garden, Discovery Garden, Rock Point Garden, Starr Farm Garden, Tommy Thompson Garden, Wheelock Garden, and Winooski Valley Garden
Quarter Plot: $35.00
- Size: 100-200 sq. ft.
- Available at: Baird Garden, Calahan Garden, Discovery Garden, and Starr Farm Garden
Kitchen Plot: $25.00
- Size: Under 90 sq. ft.
- Available at: Archibald Garden, Calahan Garden, Myrtle Street Garden, Riverside Garden, Tommy Thompson Garden, Winooski Valley Garden
**If you are not a Burlington resident, there is an additional $10 fee!**
- Hay Bales: $6.00 each
- Compost (5 gallon bucket): $2.00 each
Both will be delivered to the garden sites between mid-May to early June!
**GARDENS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE AND CANNOT BE RESERVED WITHOUT FULL PAYMENT**
There are scholarships available to help with these fees, as well as opportunities to donate to the scholarship fund and lend a helping hand to gardeners in your community! Through donations, these scholarships provide 50% of the plot fee for one full, half, or quarter plot per eligible household. If you would like a scholarship just indicate it on your form!
General Garden Information
Each site has one or more volunteer Site Leaders who help to keep the garden organized and the gardeners informed. They coordinate work days and community gatherings at the gardens throughout the growing season and are the main contact for any questions or concerns that may arise. Site Leaders will contact gardeners in the Spring to confirm the site’s opening date, schedule new gardener orientations and give any other beginning of the season information they would like to pass along. If you are interested in becoming a Site Leader, please contact Meghan O’Daniel at email@example.com.
Being a Community Gardener
The gardens rely heavily on their members to volunteer their time in order to keep them up and running. We ask that every gardener participates in community work throughout the growing season, 4 hours total per plot. These will happen on designated “community days” (with some flexibility if necessary) and can include a variety of activities ranging anywhere from moving hay to organizing the tool sheds depending on what needs to be done. Site Leaders can assist gardeners who cannot make work days by scheduling alternative work projects.
If you are interested in giving back to your community garden more than the required 4 hours, you’re in luck! BACG is one of City Market’s community outreach partners, which means that you can receive Member Worker credit through us. You must complete a Member Worker Orientation with City Market and complete your required 4 hours of community work as a garden before doing so though.
We ask that all community gardeners abide by the Gardener Agreement in order to allow our gardens and fellow community members to flourish throughout the growing season. The agreement is as follows:
- I agree to learn and follow site guidelines and the BACG Plot Maintenance Policy, to maintain a spirit of cooperation with my fellow gardeners and volunteer site leaders, and to notify my site coordinator if my contact information changes.
- ALL MATERIALS USED IN THE GARDEN MUST BE ORGANIC.
- I agree to begin planting my plot by the plant by date (set by your site leader). I understand if I do not comply, my plot will be forfeited to someone on the waiting list.
- I agree to weed and maintain my plot throughout the summer. I understand that if my plot is overrun with weeds one month from the plant by date my plot will be forfeited to someone on the waiting list.
- I agree to harvest my produce in a timely manner.
- I agree to participate or have a representative participate in at least 4 hours of community projects.
- I agree to clean up my plot by removing all non-organic material (stakes, fencing, burlap, twine, etc.) prior to the final Community Work Day at my site. I understand that if I have a tilled plot and leave vegetables in it that they will be harvested by volunteers and donated to the Food Shelf.
Garden Site Amenities
Each garden site has a tool shed with an array of tools available for all gardeners to use. Site Leaders will inform all gardeners of what the lock combination is at the beginning of the season, which will allow for full access and use of everything in the shed.
All gardeners have access to on site water. The Riverside and Baird gardens have large cisterns and rain barrels, and the rest of the garden sites have running water systems. Water is turned on around Memorial Day and turned off around Indigenous People’s Day.
Most gardens have on-site parking available. The Archibald, Myrtle St. and Riverside gardens, however, only have street parking as an option.
Plot Locations and Sizes
|Site||Address||Plot Sizes||Till or
|Archibald||28 Archibald St.||Kitchen Plots||No-Till|
|Baird||1110 Pine St.||Quarter Plots||No-Till|
|Calahan||2 Locust St.||Kitchen, Quarter, and Half Plots||No-Till|
|Champlain||800 Pine St.||Half Plots||No-Till|
|Discovery||Ethan Allen Homestead||Quarter and Half Plots||No-Till|
|Lakeview||311 North Ave.||Quarter and Half Plots||No-Till|
|Medical Center||155 East Ave.||Kitchen, Half and Full Plots||No-Till|
|31 Myrtle St.||Kitchen Plots||No-Till|
|Riverside||230 Riverside Ave.||Kitchen Plots||No-Till|
|Rock Point North||4 Rock Point Rd.||Half and Full Plots||No-Till|
|Starr Farm||250 Starr Farm Rd.||Half and Full Plots||Till & no-till available|
|Tommy Thompson||282 Intervale Rd.||Kitchen, Half and Full Plots||Till & no-till available|
|Wheelock||1251 Spear St. South Burlington||Half and Full Plots||Till only|
|WVPD Garden||Ethan Allen Homestead||Kitchen, Half and Full Plots||Till & no-till available|