Are you interested in growing your own food in community with others? Then the Burlington Area Community Garden program might be for you! There are 14 sites throughout Burlington, and you can learn more about them as well as the program here: https://enjoyburlington.com/about-our-community-gardens/
All gardens are full for the 2022 growing season and registration is closed.
To be put on the 2022 wait list reach out to Meghan at email@example.com
Garden Plot Fees:
Full Plot: $75.00
- Size: Approximately 750 sq. ft.
- Available at: Tommy Thompson Garden & Winooski Valley Garden
Half Plot: $45.00
- Size: 250-350 sq. ft.
- Available at: Calahan Garden, Champlain Garden, Lakeview Garden, Medical Center Garden, New Discovery Garden, Rock Point Garden, Starr Farm Garden, Tommy Thompson Garden, Wheelock Garden, and Winooski Valley Garden
Quarter Plot: $35.00
- Size: 100-200 sq. ft.
- Available at: Baird Garden, Discovery Garden, and Starr Farm Garden
Kitchen Plot: $25.00
- Size: Under 90 sq. ft.
- Available at: Archibald Garden, Calahan Garden, Myrtle Street Garden, Riverside Garden, Tommy Thompson Garden, Winooski Valley Garden
**If you are not a Burlington resident, there is an additional $10 fee**
- Hay Bales: $6.00 each
- Compost (5 gallon bucket): $2.00 each
Both will be delivered to the garden sites between May and June!
**GARDENS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE AND CANNOT BE RESERVED WITHOUT FULL PAYMENT**
There are scholarships available to help with these fees, as well as opportunities to donate to the scholarship fund and lend a helping hand to gardeners in your community! Through donations, these scholarships provide 50% of the plot fee for one full, half, or quarter plot per eligible household. If you would like a scholarship please reach out to Meghan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-7247!
General Garden Information
Each site has one or more volunteer Site Leaders who help to keep the garden organized and the gardeners informed. They coordinate work days and community gatherings at the gardens throughout the growing season and are the main contact for any questions or concerns that may arise. Site Leaders will contact gardeners in the Spring to confirm the site’s opening date, schedule new gardener orientations and give any other beginning of the season information they would like to pass along. If you are interested in becoming a Site Leader, please contact Meghan O’Daniel at email@example.com.
Being a Community Gardener
The gardens rely heavily on their members to volunteer their time in order to keep them up and running. We ask that every gardener participates in community work throughout the growing season, 4 hours total per plot. These will happen on designated “community days” (with some flexibility if necessary) and can include a variety of activities ranging anywhere from moving hay to organizing the tool sheds depending on what needs to be done. Site Leaders can assist gardeners who cannot make work days by scheduling alternative work projects.
If you are interested in giving back to your community garden more than the required 4 hours, you’re in luck! BACG is one of City Market’s community outreach partners, which means that you can receive Member Worker credit through us. You must complete a Member Worker Orientation with City Market and complete your required 4 hours of community work as a garden before doing so though.
We ask that all community gardeners abide by the Gardener Agreement in order to allow our gardens and fellow community members to flourish throughout the growing season. The agreement is as follows:
- I agree to be a good garden neighbor and BACG community member, which includes:
- Being open, accepting, respectful and inclusive of everyone
- Exercising patience, mindfulness and understanding towards others
- Participating in productive communication and maintaining a spirit of cooperation with fellow gardeners
- Getting to know my fellow gardeners
- Following the garden site guidelines as well as the BACG Plot Maintenance Policy
- I agree to participate in at least 4 hours of community work at my garden site
- I agree to use ONLY ORGANIC materials & products in my garden
- I agree to not grow any tobacco or marijuana (including hemp) products in my plot
- I agree to be aware of the following points and understand that if I fail to meet these requirements that I run the risk of losing my plot and not being invited back for the next season:
- Begin planting my plot by late May (plots that are overrun with weeds by mid-June will be forfeited and given to someone on the waiting list)
- Weed and maintain my plot throughout the season
- Responsibly manage any pest infestations that may appear my plot
- Harvest my produce in a timely manner
- Tilled Plots Only: Clear plot of all non-organic materials (i.e. burlap, fencing, twine, stakes, plastic etc.)
- No-Till Plots Only: Clear plot of everything if you do not plan on returning the following season
Garden Site Amenities
Each garden site has a tool shed with an array of tools available for all gardeners to use. Site Leaders will inform all gardeners of what the lock combination is at the beginning of the season, which will allow for full access and use of everything in the shed.
All gardeners have access to on site water. The Riverside and Baird gardens have large cisterns and rain barrels, and the rest of the garden sites have running water systems. Water is turned on around Memorial Day and turned off around Indigenous People’s Day.
Most gardens have on-site parking available. The Archibald, Baird, Myrtle St. and Riverside gardens, however, only have street parking as an option.
Plot Locations and Sizes
|Site||Address||Plot Sizes||Till or
|Archibald||28 Archibald St.||Kitchen Plots||No-Till|
|Baird||1110 Pine St.||Quarter Plots||No-Till|
|Calahan||2 Locust St.||Kitchen, Quarter, and Half Plots||No-Till|
|Champlain||800 Pine St.||Half Plots||No-Till|
|Discovery||Ethan Allen Homestead||Quarter and Half Plots||No-Till|
|Lakeview||311 North Ave.||Quarter and Half Plots||No-Till|
|Medical Center||155 East Ave.||Kitchen, Half and Full Plots||No-Till|
|31 Myrtle St.||Kitchen Plots||No-Till|
|Riverside||230 Riverside Ave.||Kitchen Plots||No-Till|
|Rock Point North||4 Rock Point Rd.||Half and Full Plots||No-Till|
|Starr Farm||250 Starr Farm Rd.||Half and Full Plots||Till & No-till|
|Tommy Thompson||282 Intervale Rd.||Kitchen, Half and Full Plots||Till & No-till|
|Wheelock||1251 Spear St. South Burlington||Half and Full Plots||Till only|
|WVPD Garden||Ethan Allen Homestead||Kitchen, Half and Full Plots||Till & No-till|