Recognition Park Benches
Commemorate a loved one with a special message on a park bench and help support our Burlington parks and parks improvement projects.
In addition to the bench options listed below, we run campaigns for specific parks to help support projects – currently for City Hall Park and Oakledge Universally Accessible Playground. Read on for info on how to take part in these special campaigns!
We offer three recognition bench options:
Option 1: Recognition plaque applied to existing bench
- Selected bench must be an existing standard, black powder-coated, steel bench
- Cost of plaque fabrication and installation: $750
- Not available for City Hall Park benches
Option 2: New standard bench with recognition plaque
- Installation of a new standard, black powder-coated, steel bench with recognition plaque on an existing concrete or asphalt pad. A new bench can replace an existing older bench or be a new bench in a new location.
- All new bench locations must go through an internal approval process. Requests do not guarantee approval and costs may increase due to permit fees, and costs of installation.
- Cost of bench, recognition plaque and installation: $3000 in most parks and $3500 for City Hall Park and Oakledge Park
Option 3: Artisan recognition bench
- Development and installation of a new, custom artisan bench in a proposed location
- Cost of bench proposed by applicant; an additional administrative fee of $750 will apply.
- Any associated permits must be completed by the applicant; permitting fees may apply.
- Dependent on the materials utilized, an additional annual maintenance fee may apply.
- The bench design must be developed by the applicant and comply with ADA standard requirements.
- The bench design and donation must be approved by the Department of Parks, Recreation & Waterfront, and the Parks & Recreation Commission.
To apply for a bench option above, download and complete this form: Memorial Bench Form
Please note: An application form should be submitted for each request. The bench location and plaque wording must be pre-approved by department staff. We accept applications year-round, but installation of plaques and benches is limited during the summer months (May 15-Oct 15). For more information, call (802) 316-0007 or email Deryk Roach: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Bench Campaigns
Oakledge Universally Accessible Playground (OUAP) Bench Fundraiser
Your donation towards a bench will support Burlington’s first Universally Accessible Playground, located in beautiful Oakledge Park. Ten years in the making, this community-supported effort creates a state of the art, universally accessible play scape for all children and their caregivers to enjoy.
We are in the home stretch of completion, and benches will be essential to the playground. Your tax-deductible contribution of $3,500 will make you a long-term supporter of this destination playground. To honor your gift, a personalized nameplate will be placed on the bench to become a lasting symbol of your generosity!
Bench locations are limited at the playground. Please consider supporting this important project which will provide fun and improve the quality of life for countless families.
Complete this application to reserve your bench: Oakledge Universally Accessible Playground Bench Fundraiser Form
City Hall Park Bench Fundraiser
The redesigned park at City Hall replenishes much needed greenspace and works to protect Lake Champlain by reducing runoff. It also expands access with gentler grades and wider pathways while creating new opportunities and experiences. Other added features include an interactive fountain and art installations that reference the park’s overarching theme of environmental stewardship.
Your tax-deductible contribution of $3500 will make you a long-term supporter of this beloved public gathering and civic space. To honor your gift, a personalized nameplate will be placed on the bench to become a lasting symbol of your generosity.
Complete this application form to reserve your bench: City Hall Park Bench Fundraiser Form