5/21: Basketball Courts are OPEN!!
With the paint cured and the rims re-installed last Friday, the Roosevelt Park Basketball Courts are officially open for play!
You will notice that the contractor laid down topsoil, seed and mulch around most of the courts edges. Please help us restore the grass disturbed by construction and walk around freshly seeded areas whenever possible.
Highlights of the construction project:
- New concrete paths were installed around the Youth Center, providing universally accessible connections to the restrooms and courts
- After removing the asphalt basketball courts, large boulders were discovered under the court surface. Boulders this close to the court surface would heave during the winter freeze/thaw cycle, causing the court surface to crack and buckle
- All boulders were removed and replaced with a whopping 12” of gravel subbase on geotextile
- Fresh pavement was laid across the main path through the park and over the new basketball court subbase
- New competition-grade basketball hoops were installed to provide clean rebounds and hold-up to the toughest use
- Final leveling, surfacing, painting, and landscaping completed the court improvements this spring!
Lastly, our maintenance crews will be installing new powder-coated metal benches and mounting a new water fountain to the outside of the Youth Center over the course of the summer.
We hope you enjoy the new courts and thanks for all your patience during another one of our construction projects!
5/18 UPDATE: Final Surfacing Applied! Courts Open FRIDAY!!
Some of you may have noticed the painters out applying the final coat of paint and surfacing to the Roosevelt Park basketball courts. The final line striping was applied at the end of the work day Wednesday and the courts will be open for normal use Friday afternoon after the paint cures for 48 hours.
Until that time, we have removed the nets and hoops from the basketball standards and will be keeping the courts closed. Please refrain from walking and playing on the courts until the courts reopen this Friday as it will help ensure the surfacing lasts as long as possible. Thanks for your patience and see you on the courts!
Starting August 28th a contractor will begin reconstructing the Basketball Courts at Roosevelt Park. The courts will be undergoing a much needed full-reconstruction. This means stockpiling the existing fencing and backboards, peeling off the existing asphalt, patching up and recompacting the crucial gravel subbase underneath the courts, and then putting down a brand new asphalt and acrylic playing surface.
In addition to the court reconstruction, the contractor will resurface the asphalt path that runs north to south through the park, install new concrete pathways around the Academic Tutoring Center to provide universal accessibility to the tennis courts and bathrooms, install new benches and a water fountain, and improve the drainage between the tennis courts and the Center.
During this time the basketball courts will be closed for use. Please use caution when entering the park and be mindful of construction equipment and vehicles moving around the basketball courts. We will be working with the contractor to ensure that all of the park’s amenities (except for the basketball courts) remain open and accessible throughout the construction period. We are also creating a detailed construction schedule with all of the project milestones. At this point we expect the project to be ongoing through the month of September and to finish in early-to-mid October. We will be posting additional construction updates here and through social media as needed. Thanks in advance for your patience.