Sunrise to Sunset
Additional Information About Battery Park
Located on a high point overlooking Waterfront Park, Lake Champlain and the distant Adirondack mountains, Battery Park is an important historic park on the western edge of downtown. Accessed by Battery, College and Sherman Streets.
This 14-acre historic park, deeded to the City in 1870, provides a panoramic view of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks with a promenade, playground, monuments and a bandshell. The park is host to a series of concerts throughout the summer on Thursday and Sunday evenings in the bandshell. The bandshell was build in the 70’s and dedicated to local music director Joseph Lechnyr.
The park is available for use by reservation. In the winter an outdoor skating rink is available for use by the public.
Built as a military camp during the War of 1812, American gunners, aided by the U.S.S. President anchored in the Burlington bay, successfully defended Battery Park against an attack by a British squadron on August 3, 1813. A decorative cannon in Battery Park commemorates this historic battle. Other noteworthy monuments within the park include an 8′ bronze statue of Vermont’s famous civil war General William W. Wells and a red oak sculpture acknowledging the heritage of the American Indians, named “Greylock” after a renowned Abenaki Indian chief.
The Battery Park Extension, developed in 1972, runs from the southern end of Battery Park south to College Street. The extension includes several marble art pieces as well as a memorial fountain and plaza dedicated to Burlington architect and Chamber of Commerce President, Robert A. Metz.
On Street Only