The city maintains two locations to hang event banners in the city; one on Main Street and another on Shelburne Road. The program had previously been managed by Church Street Marketplace, but is now managed by BPRW.
The program complies with Vermont Billboard Law. Our event banners fall into the 10 VSA 494(9) exemption – two week event signs, which are allowed in town highway rights of way, which in the City is all streets including the state and US routes.
“Signs to be maintained for not more than two weeks announcing an auction, or a campaign, drive, or event of a civic, philanthropic, or religious organization.”
The program is designed for city departments, non-profits and event producers to promote local events, fundraisers and raise awareness for certain causes.
Banner requests are reviewed and considered in this order of priority:
- City Departments (i.e. Public Works, City Arts, CEDO, Library, Church Street Marketplace, etc.) for their own events and activities.
- Those Burlington events that benefit non-profits or generate a substantial economic impact for the downtown.
- Local and regional non-profits that provide services for Burlingtonians and people in our area. These include fundraising events and annual campaigns that raise awareness of important social issues.
- Other non-profit organization requests.
- For-profit business promotion will generally not be considered.
NEW tiered pricing:
- $700 – For large, multi-day events that draw over 5,000 attendees
- $550 – For mid-sized events that draw 1,500 to 4,999 attendees
- $350 – For small events that draw fewer than 1,500 attendees, or non-profit activities not tied to an event
The average daily traffic along Main Street is about 13,632 and Shelburne Rd sees about 19,775 cars PER DAY. So the total impressions for the 14 days your banner is on display is over 200,000! That makes the average cost per impression less than $0.003! That’s a lower cost than print ads or most social media promotions.
What the banner fee supports:
The funds from this banner advertising program will be used to help promote programs of the Burlington Parks, Recreation and Waterfront department. Our mission is to connect diverse and dynamic public spaces and programs which grow, inspire and create inclusive social interaction through land, water and people.
The application process:
Submissions will be reviewed twice per year, with a six (6) month lead time. Deadlines are as follows:
- For desired display dates occurring January – June, the deadline to apply is July 1 of the previous year
- For desired display dates occurring July – December, the deadline to apply is January 1 of the same event year
Last minute applications will only be considered if space allows.
Organizations will be notified by email.
We DO NOT GUARANTEE banner hanging locations and dates based on previous years.
Applying for a banner with this online form is an acknowledgement that you have read and understand the relevant information. You are responsible for proving signed waiver and certificate of insurance prior to the banner being displayed. Banner providers are also fully responsible for providing banners that meet the standards. If banners need to be adjusted or re-hung, the banner provider will be charged additional fee of $250.
Download the Waiver and Certificate of insurance information:
Street Banner Liability Waiver 2019
Specifications For Shelburne Road And Main Street Banners
If you receive approval for a banner hanging, please be sure you banner meets the specifications we require.
See the following page for a diagram. Banners will be rejected if specifications are not followed. No exceptions.
- Dimensions: Min size: 15‘x 3‘ up to Max size: 20‘x 3.5‘
- Material: Must be 100% to 50% mesh to allow wind flow
- Fasteners: Must have at least 6-8 grommets at top of banner with clips and 80‘ feet of 1/2“ to 7/16“ nylon or polypropylene rope sewn into banner top & bottom (PREFERRED METHOD). Less preferred method is to have 35′ feet of rope on each side (top and bottom) tied securely to the corners (this method is only advised for 100% mesh banners).
- Banner Material: Mesh is preferred due to its lighter weight and flexibility in extreme wind conditions. Ideally, the effective projected area should not exceed 32 square feet. Canvas and heavy-weight reinforced vinyl is not recommended, but may be used if sufficient wind vents are cut into the banner. The vents allow strong winds to pass through without exceeding the capabilities of the poles, guys and attachments. No vents are required if the banner is made of mesh.
- Area: The effective projected area (or written area) will not exceed 32 square feet. The banner must have outside dimensions of no more than 20 ft. in length by 3.5ft in height. The minimum size banners is 15ft by 3 ft.
- Rope: BPRW requires a minimum 1/2” nylon or polypropylene to 7/16” nylon or polypropylene rope or a nonconductive material of equal strength. A full length of 80 feet at top and bottom of banner is required and it must be sewn into banner. Alternatively, the rope can be securely tied at each corner, but this is not recommended.
- Grommets & Clips: BPRW requires at least 8 grommets be installed at top of banner with large, sturdy clips in each grommet to be secured to the guy wire.
- Delivery: Banner must be delivered one week before the scheduled date.
Banners MUST BE CLEARLY LABELED – including event, organization, date to hang and location.
They can be delivered directly to Barrett’s Tree Service, Inc. 376 Patchen Road So. Burlington, VT 05403. Please call ahead, 802-862-0302
- Pick up: You must pick up your banner lo later than two weeks after their removal. Coordinate with Barrett’s Tree Service. If a banner is not picked up, it will be disposed of. Arrangements can be made with Banner Arts to store the banner.
NOTE: BPRW will hang two banners per month, on or about the first (1st) and on or about the fifteenth (15th), of each month at each of two designated locations, Main Street and Shelburne Road. Banner hangings may vary depending on weather conditions and contractor equipment and staffing. If the 1st or the 15th falls on a weekend or a holiday the banner will be hung on the next working day.
If you are new to the banner program, we highly reccomend that you use Banner Arts to make your banner. THey have been making them for many years and know all the specifications. Contact Ann Brush, 802-373-1081 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Battery Street Poster at Westlake Condos Specifications
The condos at Westlake on Battery Street have offered their front display windows for the city, local business and organizations to use as advertising space to promote Burlington’s events and local businesses. The windows are near many of the City’s best hotels, making it the ideal spot to get the attention of visitors and residents alike! This co-op style advertising program is designed so that fees are set to cover production and installation costs. The display will use a total of six windows. One will be a welcome message, another will show the BBA map of Burlington, downtown area and parking locations, and another will feature the Flynn’s events with the remaining three available for this program.
The windows are located along Battery Street overlooking Lake Champlain and near many of the City’s best hotels, making it the ideal spot to get the attention of visitors and residents alike. The posters can hang for longer than our street banners, lasting 1-2 months or longer. We estimate that there will be 10-20 events shown per season.
$100 = Full Poster Display
(Please contact us to confirm availability and schedule!)
You must supply final high resolution artwork created to the specifications below.
Live area: 56″ H x 43″ W (inches)
Bleed area: 64 H x 48” W (inches)